help. angel L37, any experience vs yamaha or hohner 37?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    simchaleh
    Participant

hi everyone.
    im looking to buy a melodica for proffesional gigging. i would like somethign with fast action, and charachter.
    my budget is limited to around 100$.
    i read on some website how they really praise the angel l37. however it seems strange to me that it would be better than the yamaha pianica or hohner performer.
    does anyone here have any experience with this model opposite others in its price range, and whats your recommendatiosn?
    thanks!!!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Simchaleh, in the data base on this site there is a review by Troy, very helpful insite to the angel L37. If you can hustle up a few bucks more the Yamaha P37d would probably be a much better choice.

Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

Read the review here

Daren
    Keymaster

Just to clear up any confusion, the L-37 does seem to be the same as the Angel Melodyhorn

On this thread at Jazzharmonica.org, Scott Dominick wrote:

“I actually recently bought another melodica at melodicas.com called the L-37, which has better key action and more keys. Not to get into it too much, but I was a little annoyed when I received the melodica. I read the official name on the box — the Angel Melodyhorn AM-37K3 and looked it up on the web. Melodicas.com had it for $99. eBay and Amazon had it for between $40-60. I feel a little ripped off. Anyways, it does have way better key action and is a lot louder than the Hohner Piano 32”

simchaleh
    Participant

Thnks troy for the link. However theyre comparing the l37 angel, to the honer 32.
    Im more intrested in how it compares against the yamaha pianica, which i noticed is ur favorite, and the honer proffesional.
    Ipin the ountry i lie in, the angel company, is one of the lower rated basic music instrument builders. Here an angel meloica goes for half the price of the honers and yamahas.
    Troy, i read online in many posts about problems with spit buildup with the piania. Do u find that an importnt issue?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have only the 32 and 25 key Yamaha pianicas, not a 37 though I’m sure I’ll be getting one soon; but let me chime in with two comments in favor of the Yamahas: 1. their build quality is superior to almost all other melodicas; 2. In my opinion, although the spit ejection seems a bit unconventional in comparison with others, and although I’ve suspected that it might be the cause of a failed note, in actual playing moisture buildup is less of a problem with Yamahas than with other brands. It’s not something I find myself having to worry about at all while playing. I have a bunch of melodicas. If I was stuck on a desert Island with only one melodica, I’d take a Yamaha pianica. I have a friend who does professional gigs with one, and he doesn’t seem to have had any issues with it. Hohners are not in the same ballpark.

Kevin
    Participant

In my video review I mentioned the Yamaha Pianica having notes choking from moisture build-up. However after spending more time with it I’ve noticed it was the same few notes. With the cover off and blowing in the tube I could actually see moisture bubbling up around the reed. After reading Alan’s post on gapping I’ve tried gapping those reeds a little further and hopefully that has taken care of the problem.
    If moisture build-up is the only concern you have that’s keeping you from the Yamaha I wouldn’t let that stop you. It’s currently the best quality for the cost out there.

simchaleh
    Participant

Thnks for all the replies!

simchaleh
    Participant

Ok so it looks like most people are going for the yamaha pianica at this price range.
    If i was able to buy a hohner 36 made in germany,at a good price, how does that compare with the yamaha 37 pianica? As far as tone, playability, etc. thnks

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Let us know if you seem to be getting meaningful results from your gap work, Kevin. If so, any insight you can offer about how you did the gapping would be appreciated.

Kevin
    Participant

It’s fairly direct Alan. I take a .38 guitar pick which is about the thinnest you can get (I also use this for a shim when tuning) slid it under the tongue of the offending reed(s) and lifted up a little till it visually appeared that reed might not be as close to the plate as before.
    When I say lifted it was ever so gingerly. You have to be careful and not bend or kink the reed. I’ve done that in the past the result being it doesn’t sound anymore.
    The reed I was most troubled by was the E an octave and a third above middle C. The one that sounds the top space on a treble clef. The F next to it also sometimes sputtered and stopped up. After stretching them the C above Middle C stopped up on me. My thought was “Oh great, this problem is just going to work it’s way down the keyboard”. However I played several hours yesterday and never had an issue. The gapping seems to have taken care of the problem so far?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button