Hammond Suzuki 44 vs 44HP

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tara lawton
    Participant

Hi there! Im in the market for a Hammond Suzuki 44 key and was hoping someone who has played both 44 and 44HP could give me some feed back on the pros/cons of each, and the availability of replacement reed plates, etc.

Thank you!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Tara, I play both the 44 and the Hyper. The 44 HP has a more solid tone where-as the Hyper is more brassy. They both play excellent and are very air tight. I don’t know what kind of music you play so I can not suggest a specific one for you. I play jazz, if you want to hear the two check ou my Monsters of Melodica videos “Giant Steps” where you will here the Hyper and then listen to “Sugar” where the 44 Hp is featured. I love them both and used them both equally.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica
    Check us out on facebook 🙂

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Tara, I find the 44 has a traditional melodica sound, while the HP has a cleaner sounding, more ‘digital’ feel to it

Tara lawton
    Participant

Thanks for the info! Happy holidays!

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Melodica-Me

Which one has a more solid tone? The 44 or 44HP?
    Which one has as sound close like te Hohner Professional 36?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Bruno, they are both completely different. I recorded Giant steps my John Coltrane (see you tube Monsters of Melodica “Giant Steps”) and used the Hammond Hyper because it had a sound more like a soprano saxophone more brassy. Then I recorderd Sugar by Stanley Turrentine (see you tube Monsters of Melodica “Sugar”) and used the Hammond 44 because it sounded more like a organ tone more solid. Please listen to those videos and you will here a very big difference. Both were mixed in the track with a reverb and delay. These two recording are great representation of what these two melodions can do and the sound they can produce. I can’t say I like one more than the other as I love playing them both.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Bruno, I forgot to add, neither sound like the Profesional 36. I have not recorded a solo using the Pro 36 I will have to do that soon. If you go to you tube and look up Mario Duenas “my funny Valentine” he plays a pro 36. what a beautiful tone. You can go to Facebook Monsters of Melodica and all these videos are on our page. We just started the page.

Melodica-Me

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Thank for the info Melodica-Me and congratulations for your nice music and sound !!

Tom Teasley
    Participant

How have these instruments held a tune? Also, for you expert tuners, how is the ease of tuning this compared to other instruments! TIA – Tom

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thank you Bruno.

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Hello Oscar, I need your help.

I have Hohner Professional 36, Hohner Piano 36 , Suzuki M37C and Yamaha PD37.
    I want to buy one of the two models Hammnond 44.
    To expand my the sound spectrum, What would you advise me? Hammond 44H or 44HP?
    In other words, Which you would you choose?

Thanks

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Bruno, I really like them both equal, and they both sound different. Looking at the list of your melodicas you have, (Good combination) they all sound different. I would say that the Hammond 44 has a sound unlike the ones you have listed as where the Hyper would have a sound closer to your Suzuki, not the same but closer. Yet I prefer the Hyper over the M37C and PD37. If you wanted to add a different tone I would go with the 44 to add to your sound palate. During recording sessions I find that the Hyper has been more useful in general than the 44 and the sound can be changed easier with EQ to fit what I need. I love the tone the Hyper has in our recording of “Spain” and love the sound of the 44 on “Sugar”, listen to both and see what you think. Also I would play it safe and buy them both LOL, just joking or am I 😉
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters Of Melodica

barb
    Participant

Bruno,
    I have both Hammonds, and by coincidence made some recordings today so my students can compare Hyper and Hammond 44. The recordings aren’t CD ready ! but I’d be happy to share them because you can really hear a difference between the two Hammonds on the same tunes with the same setup.
    Problem is, I don’t want to make a youtube of them so I can link it. And I don’t know much about others ways to link these files.
    Is there way I can send you MP3 files?
    But I agree with Oscar – plan on having both someday!

barb
    Participant

let’s see if this works – unedited mp3s of comparing hammonds 44 and hyper; if it doesn’t link i guess you could cut and paste

http://youtu.be/xKVSHO6Idlg

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Oscar.
    The H44 tone in Sugar sounds me in the direction to Piano 36.
    The H44HP tone in Spain sounds me in the direction to Professional 36, M37C or P37D.

I know they do! I will sell the M37C and P37D for buy the Hammond.
    I’ll stay with Hohner Professional 36 and Piano 36.
    Only with these two melodic. Which do you recommend me, H44 or H44HP?

beezer your video is private

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button