Hammond H44 Pro Mic Impedance

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi there,

As a very enthusiastic jazz player I’m looking into using a volume pedal along with some other effect pedals. Does anyone know if the mic used in the H44Pro is either a low or high impedance mic?

And does anyone have a suggestion for a good (passive?, mono) volume pedal? I was thinking of a Boss FV-500H or FV-500L depending on impedance 😉

Thnx!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Aartsen, I have been using pedals with the Hammond 44 and HP and other Melodicas for a long time. We know that the mic is a dynamic mic but not sure of the impedance I want to assume that it is high since the primary out is 1/4″ mono. It does need some sort of preamp to boost the signal especially if you are going to use effect pedals. I use a simple Ernie Ball volume pedal that works fine. The attached pictures are examples of my pedals. please let me know if you have questions of the pedals shown or any other questions on the set up.
    hope this helps.
    Melodica-Me

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/310748443032584146/

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi Melodica-Me,

First of all, I was happy to see that you’re one of the Monsters of Melodica. I looked a lot at youtube-movies before actual buying a Melodica, in my case a Melodion. It is for movies like yours that I decided to buy one. I also, like others that do not know the Melodica quite well, was somewhat prejudiced. The only Melodica’s I knew for almost a year back were the plastic ones you could buy at a local toy store with an also plastic sound. In my current playing I still meet people with this same idea of the Melodica. Luckily, they are more than surprised by tonal quality and versatility of current (more expensive) Melodica’s. Now I’ve got two, the 44H and the 24B. The latter one is another story as far as playability is concerned. Why Hammond? Well maybe because I was a Hammond Organ player for quite a while but mainly because of the integrated mic, playability and the sound.

Having said that, I’m very happy with your answer and I’ve got some additional questions 😉

When playing I connect the 44H to two Strymons. The Mobius for Chorus (getting a more accordion flavor – this is the first one in the chain, i.e. where I plug-in the Melodica) and the Big Sky for Reverb. Both can be controlled by an expression pedal that gives me lots of soundscaping possibilities during a live gig. As I can read from your post is that some sort of preamp is preferred.

I also have the Supro Drive. This active pedal is capable of preamping and of course creating overdrive if the gain is very open. This one can also be controlled by an expression pedal which controls the gain. This behaves like a kind of volume control. I don’t have this one (yet) in the chain because I’m bit worried about changing the quality of the sound to much – I like some subtle changes.

But now the question. Yes, I can use it that way (to be honest, I didn’t think of that before), but I think it should not be the first one in the chain. I would think of: Mobius > Supro > Big Sky. But then it misses the point of being a preamp to the chain.

Any experiences with that? Or would you still advice to have a passive expression pedal for volume control? If yes, where is it in the chain? If yes, then an additional preamp is needed? If no, what is the best place for the Supro in the chain?

Many thanx again!

With regards,
    Herman

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Herman, great question on the Supro drive pedal. Usually your chain would follow your melodica to a compressor pedal, volume pedal, then your Supro Drive pedal to a chorus, delay Etc. then reverb, finally out to your amp. I have found that if you use a preamp, in my case a D.I. pedal with EQ/boost first sincce the output of the Hammond does not push the pedal hard enough to maximize the pedals effect and tonal quality. I then follow to my API EQ/compressor to auto-wha then volume pedal to effects (vibrato, delays, chorus, Leslie pedals etc). And alway reverb last, then out to the amp to make tonal adjustments. Using an active volume pedal is good to keep the tone up in your chain if you have a lot of pedals on at one time but not sure it will solve the issue of a weak output of the Hammond. I have not used an expression pedal to control volume but please share once you decide. What amp are you running in your set up? The big problem I come across is that of trying to get a consistan balance from one melodica to another melodica when using effects without having to make manny adjustments to all the pedal set ups. At one time I was contemplating using a amp simulator pedal to see if I can control this issue but since I have a few amps to play with I have not. I use a EHX Cathedral reverb pedal which was fine for a while but looking to get either Eventide Space or Big Sky pedal, just not sure which I like best. what made you decide on the Big Sky pedal.
    Melodica-Me

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi Melodica-Me,

I’m still trying to post a reaction but the forum-software’s policy rules do not allow me – probably to many words match with a previous post. Just to let you know, it is certainly no lack of interest. I’ve contacted the administrator to see what’s wrong. Keep u posted.

With regards,
    Herman

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Herman, I actually got the email but did not have a chance to respond. I have seen the Boss amplifier but have not tried it. The use of pedals and amplification is a never ending challenge when you use multiple melodicas, This is one of the reasons I built my own melodica, I wanted to try to eliminate the use of several melodicas and to have one distinctive sound and to try to maintain a single pedalboard set up and amplifier. I want to say I am getting close but sometimes I feel I am not lol.

Melodica-me

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi Melodica-Me,

You have built your own melodica? Do you have images of it? I’m very interested to learn about the fabrication process. What I also find very interesting is the Suzuki Andes, well the concept of it. Hohner had a similar pipe instrument a while ago.

With regards,
    Herman

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Herman, you can google “Diamanté Wind Vox” and images will pop up. Also here on Melodicaworld you can search in the category construction and maintenance the topic “New Melodica Buikd” and you can see some images and links. The only pictures I have of the build can be found on Pinterest on “My Melodica Shop”. You can find images of both the original Diamanté #001 and the #002.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Herman, the instrument you are speaking of is the Hohner Claviola. This instrument is no longer made and difficult to find, not to mention a bit expensive. There was a participants here on Melodica world that sold one last year. see attached picture of the one I own.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/290763719672274780/

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi Melodica-Me,

Yes that one. It sound really great but I assume it is quite hard to play. Especially getting the notes spot on. I found a very nice rendition of “Cry me a river” on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fx6i_didk

And another URL of someone who really know his way around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3GAqabHEDs

Very nice and warm sound. Changing tones by using your hand partly covering the tubes. Do you use it during gigs?

With regards,
    Herman

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Herman, I rarely use the Claviola, I bought it in December of 2015 and have not had the need to use it much. It is a great sounding instrument. I hope to find something I can use it on soon.
    Melodica-Me

Posted by Monsters of Melodica on Thursday, December 10, 2015

Herman van Aartsen
    Participant

Hi Meldocia-me,

Just a follow up on this thread. I’ve used to Roland FV500-H a few times now. The purpose was to be able to have a nice volume control. To be honest, it did not meet my expectations. Changing the volume not by breath-control (blowing harder softer) changes how the instrument is perceived/is. Yes I have some effects pedal but this didn’t feel natural. So I removed it and solely use my breath for that. And yes, softer than soft is not possible when the reeds do not vibrate anymore due to lack of sufficient flowing air 😉 I’ll accept this as part of the way the instrument is. I’ll now use this pedal as a better expression model (25k range) for my Strymons. What I’ve learned is that most default expression pedals are in the 10k range. This 10k range does not fit the requirements of quite a few effect pedals.

Cheers,
    Herman

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Herman, I usually do not us a volume pedal for dynamic reasons but more for over all control of volume when performing and some times for some swell effects. I have not used the Boss FV500H but I do know many who do use it. Dynamics should definitely be controlled by breath.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button