Guerrini Melodica Vintage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dani
    Participant

Hello!
    I am Daniel, from Spain.
    I would like to know if someone know details about this Guerrini Melodica Vintage, and how worth it; we supposed it works ok 🙂

I atache a link with a photo/pic:

http://i62.tinypic.com/mrqoom.jpg

Thanks in advance and scuse my english, i am not so very good in it 🙂

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hello Daniel. I have been collecting vintage melodicas. I have seen smaller Italian made Guerrini toy melodicas for children advertised. This model looks more interesting. It is obviously inspired by the early 1960s Hohner Piano HM-926, which is a very good melodica. Guerrini is one of several companies in Italy, Czechoslovakia, and other European countries that started making melodicas in the mid-1960s or so. The case for this one looks more recent, but it’s hard to tell. What it is worth is a matter of what someone will pay for it (for example what they will bid on eBay). Except for the Clavietta and the early Hohner 36 key melodicas, vintage melodicas usually sell for under $100. Actually, most sell for under $50. If I knew that it plays well and does not leak air, I might bid more than that for this Guerrini because of its uniqueness. It is an attractive looking instrument.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Daniel:

Welcome to the forum. That is one cool looking melodica. It appears to be of high quality too, but it is hard to tell from the photo. Given it was made in Italy, it is probably of at least reasonable quality. If you get that thing, I am sure everyone would love to hear what it sounds like. If you want to sell it, please include me in the running.

Regards,

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’d buy it for $50, but my selling price just went up.

Dani
    Participant

Just arrived to my house!
    A nice instrument, a very good sound for my ears.
    I atache some pics:

http://es.tinypic.com/r/1ouec4/8

http://es.tinypic.com/r/2dt3g21/8

http://es.tinypic.com/r/2q00eax/8

Alan Brinton
    Participant

You say Guerrini, I say Pionatto! also made in Italy. This one sold on eBay for about $52 on eBay recently. I was the schmuck who bid $51.

http://lucy421.smugmug.com/Other/Italian-Melodicas/48587036_h9Qhbx#!i=3989132722&k=Q6Gm2Lf&lb=1&s=A
    http://lucy421.smugmug.com/Other/Italian-Melodicas/48587036_h9Qhbx#!i=3989132872&k=TX59bK9&lb=1&s=A

Quetscher
    Participant

You say PIONATTO, I say PIANETTA;-)

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Wait a minute!

You say Pianetta

I say Utava

Quetscher
    Participant

Weird! Where do you find those instruments? Once I’d like to see a picture of all your beauties in a row…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

My wife keeps asking how many melodicas I have now, a question I refuse to answer. It has gotten beyond being a marital issue, however! Except that she says they’ll all go in the dumpster when I go on to my reward.

I don’t have a Pianetta. The Utava I got on eBay, but it was inexpensive. It’s a novelty item, though it does play. The first octave isn’t too bad. The Pianetta was made in Italy, the Utava in Czechoslovakia, but the design is clearly the same except for the number of keys. I think these were being played in the background when the Berlin Wall came down. The Pianatto and the Guerrini also seem to be the same as each other. I suppose we’ll never know the history of all these Hohner inspired models.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hey Alan, just to let you know, I may be a bigger schmuck for buying the Pionatto last week. You probably guessed that I bought it because….wait for it…. is says on the back “MADE IN ITALY” woo-hoooooo, ah-no. I bought it because I noticed it has sound holes on the back sides of the keys. I am hoping sound can be manipulated via those holes and that it hopefully has somewhat of a decent tone. As I have mentioned before, I don’t really like melodicas with little keys, simply because my fingers are just to big and long for the spacing. I do like the tone I have heard on some of those Hohners so you never know. Also while money was pouring out of my pocket last week, I also purchased the ugly 25 note Rasta looking Clavietta that was up on Ebay last week as well to round out my Clavietta collection. BUT that one will need some serious restoration work. I don’t recommend anyone buying these unless you are really dead set on spending time and money on them. I guess I am prepping myself for retirement like you Alan LOL
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I hadn’t guessed about the Pionatto. I’m excited that you got it and am sorry for running up the price. I’ll be greatly interested in your assessment when you get it. Especially if and when you take it apart and see what the reeds are like, and also how much it is like or unlike the original Hohner Piano 26.

If you’re bidding on something and let me know, you or anyone else for that matter, I won’t try to outbid you. I have been playing and comparing all three versions of the Piano 26/27 recently.

I have two Claviettas, mainly because they were inexpensive and I had in mind your advice that it would probably take one playable Clavietta and another for parts. I like the sound of the one that plays, but it does need work and I’m not sure when I’ll get around to working on it, given that I’m working on several projects. But if it looks like I won’t, I’ll make them available.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, the Pianotto came in today and it has one note that the reed is stuck, I am sure it is an easy fix, but it seams to have a very tight seal and I don’t want to attempt to open it just yet. The tone is quite good and no leaks, very air tight. Like most of these older melodicas they are Quite cool looking. Definitely to small for these hands and a strain for me. If your are interested in it let me now.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Are you confident that the reed is there and has not broken off, Melodica-Me? Does it look like it has been taken apart? I am interested and willing to pay what you paid for it, except for a bit of hesitation about the reed. Thanks.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, the reed sounds like it is stuck, there is a tone but weak. I have this issue with a Suzuki melodion that sound the same. I can send it to you and if it has a broken reed you can return it. it looks like it has not been open before very clean.

Melodica-Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button