Give your melodica a bath!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dez Bone
    Participant

Hi

I bought a vintage hohner piano 26 and it smells a bit funky, is it ok to give it a bath? I ask as the original post says not to bath a 37

Cheers
    Dez

Michael W.
    Participant

Hi Dez,

quite recently I cleaned up an older Hohner Cassotto 26.
    It was in good condition but with a musty smell and with squeaky and clunky keys.
    I disassembled it and bathed all parts a few minutes in warm water with some dish liquid. After that I rinsed it with pure warm water and led all parts dried over night.
    After that I lubricate the valve shafts with a bit Vaseline and reassembled the instrument.

After that it nearly feels like new, no squeaky and much less clunky keys, also the smell is nearly gone.

Greetz

Michael

Alan Brinton
    Participant

A liberal sprinkling of the wet melodica internals with baking soda left to sit for a couple of hours and then very thoroughly rinsed will pretty well eradicate any lingering odors.

Dez Bone
    Participant

Cheers Alan

I’m a bit worried about taking it apart as I don’t want to risk breaking anything

Martin
    Participant

A three to one (or 2-1) mix of water and common distilled (unflavored) vinegar is the usual solution for washing the melodica,

I threw the two parts in my kitchen sink with about 50/50 mix of warm water and vinegar, and a touch of dish soap. They were in the water for about 30 minutes

Actually i followed some advices here and it didn’t turn too well for my Hohner26 painting .. i guess my white vinegar 6% was not a good choice ahah. But the smell dissapeared for good, and it’s still functional. Any hints for bathing my second melodica? (same model)

:(

Anton Tokman
    Participant

Yesterday I’ve cleaned my Suzuki M-32C. I’d take it apart piece by piece. I’m afraid the water is not useful to the key springs and the felt pad under the keyboard.
    I used dishwashing liquid. And in addition I applied medical alcohol for reed plates.
    Since the melodion was disassembled, I also tuned the reeds.

Daren
    Keymaster

Good work Anton, I find the springs and felt tend to dry ok…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button