Getting a Blues Sound from Your Melodica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Hi All,

Here is another report on my progress to get a blues sound from my melodica. Basically I have found that the Lone Wolf Blues Company effect pedals are working well and are easy to use compared to multi-effects processors and preamps, etc.

I created a sound clip that provides some A/B comparisons (dry versus effects). I hope it help those of you who are interested in playing the blues. The link to the clip is below. And I should say, that these effect pedals should not be just limited to the blues. Obviously delay effects and EQ adjustment can be used to ease the sound of melodicas into many genres of music or to just to get a sound you like so that playing and practicing are more enjoyable.

If the link below does not display my SoundCloud page, you can just go to: https://soundcloud.com/lowboy-bootay/tracks

Here is the SoundCloud Link:

The title of the track is “Demo of the Lone Wolf Blues Company Effects Pedal with Melodica.”

Regards,

Tom

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks, Tom. Love the New England accent. What you’re doing is truly exciting, and I really appreciate the clear and informative explanations about what you’re doing. It’s generous of you to share your innovations — it is, in my opinion, the mark of a true artist and born teacher to be willing to do so. You’re making an impression when you get me thinking I could have fun with these pedals!

Lowboy
    Participant

Thanks Alan,

I think I am going to remove my demo and replace it with another demo with another recommendation as I have found the magic bullet as of last night I do believe.

Last night I received the Lone Wolf Blues “Harp Octave” pedal. The name suggests octave generator, but it is really more like a distortion pedal. It is simply awesome. The sound is much like that on my recording entitled “Melodica Blues Solo with Distorted Sound” on my SoundCloud page, only better.

So I am going to redo my demo recording.

The following seems to be the perfect combination for a nice rich, harp-tone, Chicago blues sound for melodica: Compressor to the Harp Octave to the Harp Delay to the amp.

The slight rounding of the high end and the slight bass boost of each of these pedals, when combined, provide a perfect sound. They take the harshness out of the melodica sound, give it a harp-like tonality, thicken the sound, yet still enable the richness of the melodica to come through. Each type of melodica maintains its own character. Plus you get delay and distortion that provides the Chicago Blues sound.

For a basic melodica blues sound, that is all you need to get started in a big way. Less is more.

Can’t wait to spend some time with this combination over the week end. I am jamming with an upright bass player and acoustic guitar player this weekend (blues of course), so it will be very interesting to see how this sound fits it.

I think my search is over for a basic blues sound. Now I can focus on technique. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Lowboy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button