Fresh information about the Yamaha P37E ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    FREDERIC
    Participant

hello everyone, do you have fresh information about the Yamaha P37E. Is it better than the P37D, more playable? better sound and touch? is it really worth it? is this a real innovation? and finally, is he professional in his definitions?

FREDERIC
    Participant

Hi, I just received my Yamaha yamaha P37E (a few days), it’s my first yamaha. I play (jazz / bossa jazz) usually on the Hammond 44, 44 hyper, suzuki Pro 37v2, Hohner Airboard 37. I’m pretty confused to find the Yamaha P37E keyboard pretty bad …. I feel like it there is almost a friction between the keys when I play …. the keyboard is relatively noisy. As you know, the feel, the touch on the keyboard is quite important for the development of the musical game and I am disappointed. Following all your praise on the yamaha P37D I just order one to compare with the P37E because I am very intrigued. What is your experience with the P37E keyboard? you like it? Is it like the p37D for you? Am I the only one not to find the keyboard of sufficient quality?

ps: I appreciate the sound however, but the articulation of the keyboard spoils me enough pleasure. The aesthetics I like too …. it’s old school, it arrived well tuned

Anton Tokman
    Participant

Hi,
    When I’ve received my P37D, my impressions was the same. Sticky keyboard as compared to my Suzuki. I was disappointed. But after a couple of weeks the keyboard got used to or me used to. And now Yamaha is my main instrument.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you for your response and your testimony on the P37D. I feel that the P37E will improve with use very little … because I have already played a lot with no great improvement. When we come from SUZUKI we are really disappointed. Even my HOHNER Airboard is much better at the keyboard level (its my personnalité feeling).

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Frederic, I’ve always favoured the P37D melodica over others, and did buy a P37E to try out, but don’t use it. I don’t find that they improve with use – mine seem to be at their best when the reeds are brand new

FREDERIC
    Participant

Daren thank you for your response and your opinion. I admit to being quite disturbed by the Yamaha P37E … especially in terms of the playability of the keyboard

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It is very common for older model Yamaha Pianicas (especially 1970s-80s, but even 1990s) to have sticky keys. I have quite a few vintage Yamahas, and I sometimes play them. I have gotten in the habit of running my thumb, finger or palm up and down the keyboard a few times with those models and even sometimes with fairly new ones, after which there’s not a problem that is noticeable to me. It just becomes part of the routine when I pick up a Pianica. So much so that I sometimes do it with other melodicas, loosening up the keys, like “warming up” routines that we see musicians doing with other instruments.

The phenomenon I’m talking about involves a little barrier of resistance that you have to break through, most noticeable when the keyboard hasn’t been played for a while. Maybe that isn’t what you’re talking about. The amount of resistance you feel can be adjusted somewhat: increased by shortening the key’s spring (on a Yamaha or Suzuki), decreased by stretching the spring. I probably would like a little more resistance from the keys in my Suzukis, but I haven’t experimented with that. It would involve clipping a coil from each spring, and then if necessary stretching it just enough to get to the level of resistance I’d like, which would have to be done uniformly for all the keys, best done using a measuring instrument.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you Alan for your comments. This allows me to have a more advanced idea about Yamaha Pianica models

Daren
    Keymaster

Or you can buy a replacement set of prints – I’ve tried this with springs that had more resistance. But I actually prefer the lighter resistance

FREDERIC
    Participant

well received! thanks

Kevin
    Participant

I feel like it there is almost a friction between the keys when I play …. the keyboard is relatively noisy. As you know, the feel, the touch on the keyboard is quite important for the development of the musical game and I am disappointed.

Hi Frederic, I have the same experience. If you play the Suzuki for a bit the Yamaha keyboard(P37D) feels terrible. The keys feel like they stick or hang somewhere in the middle of their travel. They’re also noisy and my fingers feel a bit cramped on a Yamaha compared to the Suzuki. I’ve never actually measured the size of the keys. I have a new P37D and one I’ve played for several years they both feel the same key-wise.

Unfortunately I like the air handling better on the Yamaha and it also has less of an accordion sound.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you very much Kevin for this feedback. I understand perfectly what you describe and it reassures me about the perception that I have. It is true that when you come from suzuki and more specifically the “Hammond 44 hyper” sensibility level of the keyboard, it’s a shock! That said, I consider more and more Yamaha P37E and P37D for what they are, “souls apart”, “different voices”, “different breaths”, “different beings” … ..I take them as they are with their singularities and I make brothers and sisters, cousins …. Of course my language is symbolic; -) …. I make peace with them and I the welcome in my little family. Thanks again Kevin!

FREDERIC
    Participant

After now several weeks of intensive use of the Yamaha P37E and comparison with the P37D my conclusion is:
    – The Yamaha P37E is far inferior to the previous model the Yamaha P37D …. the construction process announced on paper of the P37E brings no improvement in the musicality and playability but on the contrary could suggest that the previous model, for those who will not know it (which was my case before I buy it to compare), would be even worse which is absolutely not the case. The Yamaha P37D is and remains the best (from YAMAHA) …..

My personal conclusion: go your way regarding the YAMAHA P37E and continue to buy, if you predict YAMAHA, the Yamaha P37D that is and remains far from better musicality and playability.
    I regret the purchase of the YAMAHA P37E even if it allowed me to discover the very good and old model the YAMAHA P37D which will remain durably in my collection t that I will use with great pleasure even if I am very attached to SUZUKI / HAMMOND …. the sound of yamaha p37d is different, it also playability and it gives him a charm!

Anton Tokman
    Participant

A week ago I’ve noticed friction between white keys (small-octave B and 1-line octave C) on my Yamaha P37D. It was very noisy and annoyed me. To remove this defect I had to swap small octave and great-octve B keys.
    Suzuki is much better made.

Pál Krammer
    Participant

It seems the best information about the 37E, written some years ago, has come from this forum’s own Alan Brinton (hi Alan!), whose own review of the P-32D led me to buy one.

Sticky keys, also observable on my P-32D, seem to resolve themselves as one begins to play. It may be that Yamaha’s melodicas have this trait along with a bit of key noise, but I find it low enough not to be heard while playing.

I’ve not found a P-37E in local music stores, so maybe it’s not been the success Yamaha hoped for? The salesman, who’s known me for a long time (I’m a sax player), said the 37D is their top seller.

Alan’s review of the 37D makes me want one – and it has so much youtube exposure – but I honestly don’t think I can use those five higher keys. Perhaps, like the Hohner Marine Band harmonica, the 37D has become such a classic that every melodica enthusiast should own one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button