Faulty Yamaha P37D?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shavkat
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    I am total beginner here, just bought my first melodica Yamaha P37D and started playing.
    I have a question – I found that at least two keys C4 and F4 harder to play than others just next to them – either I need to blow more air for them or wait a bit longer.
    Is it a defect and I need to return/exchange this particular P37D?
    Or it is expected for a non-professional instrument for $81 and I really need to pay >$400 to get something without this problem?
    I would really appreciate your advice on this! Thanks!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

You definitely do not need to pay more. The P-37D is an excellent melodica, one of the best out there. Your issue with C4 and F4 is highly unusual on a new Yamaha Pianica. Chances are that this is a matter of gaps of the reeds for those keys. The gap, the distance between the reed plate and the reed, is almost certainly too narrow or too wide. If you take it apart and examine those two reeds carefully, they will almost certainly be noticeably different from the others, probably too wide. This is not hard to adjust, and you can see descriptions of how to change the gap by searching “gap” or “gapping” in the Forums. On the other hand, if it’s not too complicated to return the Pianica, that would be the safest thing to do. But eventually, you will probably want to learn to tune and to gap the reeds.

Shavkat
    Participant

Thank you very much for your advice, Alan!
    I think I better return it to Amazon, and then buy either another P37D or … Suzuki M37C (want to see how it feels and sounds in comparison with P37D and it will be delivered just in 2 days 🙂 )

Shavkat
    Participant

Another question – the melodica P37D arrived in its P37D hard case simply wrapped by plastic clear “bubble” wrapper material, and postal label on it – without any paper box with photo of the instrument, Yamaha logo, etc. – this is what I was expecting. I am wondering is it how it is packed in the factory? Did I receive a new item in fact or used/refurbished instrument?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It probably came from the factory that way. It’s unlikely to have been used. Melodicas are not generally refurbished. The Suzuki M-37C is of comparable quality, very good, a little bit louder and with a bit more edginess to its sound. Which one likes better is a matter of personal preference. Can’t go wrong with either one. I personally like the 32 key models, P-32D and M-32C, love both and play them regularly. But the 37 key models are also great. I have a slight p[reference for the Yamaha sounds but love the feel of the Suzuki metal trays.

From the factory these all seem now to come in their plastic cases and then to be boxed and/or wrapped by the seller.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button