Earwig!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Clep
    Participant

I just finished practicing for 45m or so, and was giving the melodica a vigorous blow-out, shaking it around and so forth, and, may lightning strike me down, as I was blowing an earwig shot out of the vent hole at the bottom.

I could feel the pressure bump as it went through the hole and thought “what was that?”, thinking it was a piece of old gasket or something that had come off. I looked down to what I had seen flying out in my peripheral vision, and saw the little guy staggering away. It seemed relatively unharmed, though it might have been moving slightly slower than normal, so, who can tell.

Hilarious, a little disturbing, and for the earwig, not the best day. Now I’m wondering how many more there may be in my melodicas. We have a lot of silverfish around here as well. Not something I had ever considered in terms of melodica maintenance. 🙂

Alan Brinton
    Participant

That would be giving me nightmares, Clep, though your compassion for the earwig is heartwarming. I think I’d be taking it apart, flushing it out with water and vinegar, and relocating any other earwigs. I don’t even want to start thinking about silverfish.

Clep
    Participant

If it helps, earwigs are among the very few insect species that take careful care of their young. 🙂

Hopefully they weren’t doing that in my melodica, though.

Jim R
    Participant

Earwigs are also a sign of healthy ground. Not in your melodica either, I hope!

Clep
    Participant

Yeah my melodicas are kinda old and funky but hopefully there aren’t whole ecosystems going on in there!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button