Double notes legato

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Max
    Participant

I am learning my first melody with double notes and they sounds separately as I jump on keyboard with two fingers pressing them.
    Can you advise how to play double notes more smoothly?
    Thank you in advance.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Max, what fingers are you using, and which notes? A good way to practice this is placing both fingers on the notes (without pressing), so you have contact with the keys. From that place, try playing each note separately with both fingers maintaining contact with the keys. When you can do this, try playing both notes simultaneously. Listen, and see which note is playing first – when you know, you can make the finger movement of the other note faster, so they land at the same time.

Let me know how you find this!

Max
    Participant

Hello, Daren!
    Thank you for your answer.
    I am using the only 1,2,3 fingers. I don’t have problem with pressing 2 notes simultaneously. But I have gaps between pair of notes, as it is required to jump the same fingers to another pair of notes. I am learning this Japanese melody and from this place they have double notes https://youtu.be/ppgLO3vUEHk?t=29. May I ask you to advise optimal fingers, please?
    Thank you in advance.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Max, I’ve had a look at the music. If I was playing this, I’d use 5 fingers. I’ve written the finger numbers in red above the notes. Where there is a number in brackets, it means that you change the finger while holding the key down. This way you can get completely smooth legato with all notes.

music score melodica

To do this, I keep the 3rd finger bent, and play with the back of the finger/nail side.

I hope this helps!

Max
    Participant

Daren, thank you very very much for your advice! I will use your fingering.

Daren
    Keymaster

Great, good luck 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button