Coming soon: Play melodica with both hands! Volume I

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

Hi all,
    It will be soon available on Amazon an adaptation I have made of the well-known F. Beyer piano method ““Preparatory School for Piano”, op. 101. The intent is to have a few beginning exercises to start playing the melodica the “Japanese” way: vertical, with both hands. As we know, playing the melodica in this style means having the left hand reversed thus the need, even for experienced piano players, to re-train the brain in the use of the left hand with mirrored fingerings: the use of simple materials can be of tremendous help in doing so.
    Play Melodica with Both Hands! Volume I
    This publication contains a wonderful short essay by Alan Brinton (yes, “our” Alan), where he presents us with a brief history of the melodica and its playing styles.
    After a brief technical introduction by myself, the book contains the first part of the original book, including the introductory music theory elements and the first 64 exercises. Everything was adapted to be played with a standard 32-keys melodica.
    If enough interest is shown for this first Volume, I will publish a second volume with the reminder of the original book (exercises and pieces in all tonalities).

You can download a few sample pages from the following link:
    http://www.barbaro.it/cms/index.php/it/106

The book will be available in printed form only (no ebook for the moment) at USD/Eur 9.90.

gl

André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Congratulations for the initiative! Surely I’ll buy a copy!

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

Thank you!

Charles Pugh
    Participant

I just received Your book, Play Melodica… Volume 1 and it is excellent. I would like some instruction and practice in playing accidentals (termed “altered notes” in your book). You wrote that accidentals would be included in the second volume. I searched for and couldn’t find Volume 2 (or II) so I imagine it is not yet written and is not yet available. Is this correct? In the meantime, can you offer any additional instruction on playing accidentals with the left hand beyond what is on page x – in my words, “…when a black key needs to be pressed, move the left hand slightly up so the fingertips are on the black keys, and then move the left hand back down when returning to white keys?…”

It is an interesting and probably great idea to simplify early learning by leaving out the accidentals and I will practice Volume 1 diligently (I hope). However, I have played piano and guitar a bit and will not be able to avoid sharps/flats entirely.

Regards,

Charlie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button