Clean your melodica or face the consequences!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

There’s a recent article here, about a man who died from a lung condition called hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which is also known as “bird fancier’s lung”, “farmer’s lung” and even “hot tub lung”.

It s strongly suspected he contracted it from mould and fungi breading within his bagpipes.

“[Musicians] need to be aware that there are risks that instruments can become colonised with mould and fungi and this can be related to serious and potentially fatal lung disease,” said Dr Jenny King, first author of the study, of North Manchester general hospital.

She added that the warm, moist environment of wind instruments is an ideal breeding ground for such organisms. “Wind instrument hygiene is really important in preventing this and [musicians] should be stringent in cleaning their instruments regularly.”

Kevin
    Participant

Ah Daren I posted a similar thread in general discussion before I saw yours. Please delete it.

Kevin
    Participant

I meant delete my post not yours :-/

Robert Terry
    Participant

Easy of cleaning should be an important goal of any modern melodica design team.

Why wood I try a piccolo that has layers of dried crud around the embouchure hole was the question my eyes asked the lazy shopkeeper.

Shannon M
    Participant

I saw this article and immediately thought about a discussion I had with MM last year concerning buying used instruments that function on inhale as well as exhale (such as a Vibrandoneon). Makes me want to flush all of my older instruments…..

Shannon

Daren
    Keymaster

It seems that many wind players clean their instruments with bicarbonate of soda, also known as baking soda I think?

Also recommended by Alan Brinton!

Quetscher
    Participant

That’s what I always thought, melodica’s a killer! (Remember the Rosetti-Monica-Lorenzo!!!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button