Clavietta

• This topic has 50 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by froggy.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Shannon M
    Participant

Hi, Oscar

Received them today. They are going to work just fine. I also really like the bumper sticker. My wife said she would sponsor that tour! 8^)

I would like to hear your tips on installation. Although not particularly difficult, any way to make things easier is a bonus.

Thanks again,

Shannon McGee

Shannon M
    Participant

MM,
    I found a local source for the washers, so all set there. These were more challenging to stop leaking than I expected-a few of the keys needed significant spring adjustments to seal correctly. But oh, the tone! absolutely beautiful.

Now my issue is with the air chamber seals. old gaskets were leaking like a sieve. I tried cork gasket (doesn”t compress enough) and hobby shop “foamies” (thought they were closed-cell, apparently not)

Wondering what you found to use. All of the gasket tape I have seen seems too thick.

Thanks,

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

That’s great. For the gasket I originally used cork but I could only find it in a sheet. You would then have to cut it and join it. I now use suede lace from Tejas lace company out of Fort Worth Texas. I use the 1/8 inch version cost about $9.00 bucks but you can gasket about 50 Clavietta’s. It is thicker than the gasket that is on the Clavietta by at least double, this does not effect anything just squeeze it down and it works. You can use simple contact cement to glue it down. You need to remember you will not get all the leaks out. The Clavietta is designed to have 4-5 holes at the lower register that gives the Clavietta the effect of loud then soft. Also it works to keep from choking a reed down if you play to hard wSo it feels that you have a leak but it is intensional. I did close two of the hole on my own Clavietta so it can keep more air in the chamber. You can plug the holes with a self tapping screw and remove it if you do not like what it does. On the 25 key Clavietta this is not the case and the chamber is tight and louder than the 34 key version. I will be restoring my 25 key Clavietta soon and will take pictures as I go through the process unless I forget as I sometimes do.
    Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

MM,
    After careful assessment, it seems the “foamies” gasket is working well . The leaks are elsewhere. feeling some air escaping around the highest reeds, I rewaxed all of the reeds. this seemed to help a bit, but I am still leaking significant air somewhere. I tried to find the four holes you were talking about, but came up short. can’t find any real source for the leak, but it seems to be mostly coming through the third to last highest reed. will continue to tweak the washers, but would appreciate it if you could clarify the location of the “intentional” leaks.

thanks,

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Shannon, you will need to remove the last 3-4 Keys on Lower register to get to the holes I have one taken apart and can send you some pictures tomorrow of the holes. The holes are all gathered together in one small box on the base plate.
    Melodica-me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Shannon, I had a close up picture of the 5 holes not 4. These are relief holes. If you plug them up one at a time you can get a tighter air chamber, BUT it will change the effect of loud to soft that is the Clavietta. You can use small set screws or wax to try it out. Also they are there in case you over blow.
    Melodica-Me

http://s355.photobucket.com/user/BigPwr/library/La%20Clavietta

Shannon M
    Participant

MM,

Thanks for the picture. that really helps. I did not do a complete dis-assembly (although I probably should), so I did not suspect there were any relief holes there. Do these end in the individual reed chambers, or do they connect to the main air chamber? My main leak is with no keys depressed at all and sounds like most of it is coming through the third highest reed (used a stethoscope). Lots of air, no sound. Normal sound when that key is depressed.

Thanks

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Yes the holes will let the air out without any keys pressed down. so it feels and sounds like a big air leak. I have 4 Claviettas (2) that work (2) that are for parts but complete and (1) all there but completely disassembled. I love the Claviettas but they are not really good for live work to soft. The Clavietta 25 is actually better for live work but not enough keys.

Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

Thanks, MM. Looks like at least a partial dis-assembly is coming up. I love the tone-my wife loves the low volume. 8^) But I have a hard time sustaining notes with the large leak. I may try a partial block as you suggest.

Shannon

Bruno Travi
    Participant

MM

I have two Clavietta version, an old with curves keys and other more modern with the keys with more pronounced corners and more depth, the latter have best action key.
    But the sound is very hard ! unlike the oldest what resonates easily.
    Don’t see any air leakage, I dont understand what happens. ¿?

Any recommendation to hold nuts and springs? a special tool? I’m going crazy :S

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Bruno, the Clavietta, has 5 hole that let air out as part of its design. You can plug the holes but the sound will change a little. What I have done is tap and install some set screws that can be removed if you do not like what it does to the sound. personally it does not bother me at all. You will have to remove a few of the keys to get to them. If you have leaks on your hard washer that is different or if you are leaking from the air chamber both easy to fix. see the attached picture to see what the holes look like. if the washers are very brittle they will leak as well. you can replace them with rubber washers and that will seal it up nicely. There are some pictures of the washers on this thread as well. Also make sure that the (4) screws that hold the air chamber down are sealed too as air can leak from there. You can tighten the screws at the back of the keys and that will push the hard washers to the base plate helping stop air. But it will change the feel of the key if to tight. Hope this helps. send me a picture of both you Clavietta’s and I will compare them to the ones I have.
    Hope this Helps
    Melodica-Me

http://s355.photobucket.com/user/BigPwr/library/La%20Clavietta

Bruno Travi
    Participant

I have dismantled two claviettasto know the root problem. Still one sounds louder than the other. 5 holes of both are equal; They do not reach the other side.
    What is the work of the 5 holes?

Photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I4WRon9blLQTJFS0UyQ0FUS0E/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I4WRon9blLcDdBMkVtWlNLREE/view?usp=docslist_api

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Bruno, the holes are sort of a pressure relief. When you blow into the melodica you can hear the sound change from a quick attack to a soft relief. All (5) holes on my clavietta were open to the back side. Not knowing the actual theory on these holes I can only tell you what I have found in closing them. When I closed the holes I no longer had a leak. After changing the washers, gasket in the air chamber and sealing the bolt holes on the air chamber. Another theory is that these holes may be unknown factory adjustments for the clavietta?
    Melodica-Me

Bruno Travi
    Participant

The advantage of the Clavietta with other melodicas, it can produce sound even when completely disassembled, blowing directly by each circular holes.
    When I blow by one that correspond 5 smaller reeds and pressing the hole back I hear a sound change.

I believe that these 5 holes help to release pressure and avoid damaging ONLY the 5 smaller and more fragile reeds, so 5 holes are behind the 5 smaller reeds.

Bruno Travi
    Participant

The reeds of both Claviettas are in perfect condition. I did soundcheck with both completely disassembled, blowing directly by each circular hole and there are differences in volume and resonance between both.

Conclusion: Perhaps the old had better reeds that later versions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button