Circa 1960s Hohner Piano 36 For Sale

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

I am selling a circa 1960s Hohner Piano 36. As 55-year-old melodicas go, I think this one is in excellent condition. It looks like it just came out of the box except for a couple of minute light surface scratches that are barely visible. I would consider the tuning to be typical for a vintage instrument (you can hear it yourself in the audio clip below). The melodica is typically tight by Hohner standards. However, if you blow hard into the instrument without pressing the keys, weak springs will allow the air to lift a few pads up and cause them to flutter. This does not effect playing at all, as when you are playing, valves are open and the pressure does not build up enough to lift the pads. Normally when playing, you would not blow as hard as required to lift the pads up anyway. (All three of my Piano 36s exhibit this behavior, this one less so than the others.) I have played this instrument in performances many times and play it with out issue.

The very old Piano 36s have a thin-walled mouthpiece port. About 90 percent of these very old melodicas have a piece chipped out of the port in exactly the same location in exactly the same shape. Even being aware of this and handling this instrument with great care, I managed to chip the mouthpiece port like everyone else. I would never recommend playing one of these without wrapping electrical tape around the port for support. In any case, I was able to complete a very good repair using superglue (see photo). When the instrument was in use, I wrapped the tip with electrical tape and never had a problem. Actually, I now prefer to play these Piano 36s without any mouthpiece like many others you will see playing them.

This instrument includes a gray carrying case with two strips of velcro attached to the back side of the case. A trumpet mouthpiece is included.

In addition to the description above, I have included photos and a recording below to ensure you can fully judge the condition of this melodica before buying. Overall, it sounds and plays great, with a powerful and bright tone like that of a horn section.

I am asking $135 plus shipping insured by USPS. However, I will consider offers over the next few weeks. Then I will probably put it on Ebay. You I think you can contact me at SoundCloud by searching on Lowboy Bootay. If not let me know and we will figure out another way.

Lowboy

Recording of Circa 1960s P36

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Lowboy
    Participant

This melodica is no longer for sale. Lowboy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button