Chromaric Harp and Melodica Together

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I want to share this incredible series of duo videos of Masa Matsuda and a chromatic harmonica player whose name I do not know.

The link should bring you to one of a half dozen wonderful videos of these two masters. There’s so much to love about this duo not the least of which is Masa’s fantastic comping skills. Chromatic harp and melodica together…what’s not to love. Enjoy.
    Tom

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Matsuda is the Franz Liszt of the keyboard harmonica, in fine two handed form here. These guys are really cooking. Thanks, Tom, this makes my day.

Rodion
    Participant

Thanks for sharing – really nice both in virtuosity and composition 🙂

and a chromatic harmonica player whose name I do not know.

I dare to suggest the harpist is Tokunaga Nobu

Tom
    Participant

Glad you guys enjoyed it. And thanks for the harp players name, Rodion. That is an efficient looking two-handed technique. I haven’t tried to play with two hands yet but it looks like he mostly reserves the left hand for the lowest keys. Interesting.
    Tom

Quetscher
    Participant

That’s a fantastic video and it shows quite clearly the differences in sound and playing of melodica and harp. I’m amazed how well these two free reed instruments mix together.

Lowboy
    Participant

Questscher,

Your blues improvisation on your SoundCloud page is beautiful. One minute I think I am listening to a sax, the next minute I think I am listening to a clarinet, then the lower notes sound melodica like. Great bending of high notes and great expressiveness. You pulled out all the stops on this one.

Lowboy

Quetscher
    Participant

Lowboy,

I’m glad you discovered my recording and I’m overwhelmed that you like it that much! Thank you so much!

I wasn’t sure if I should post it on melodicaworld because I didn’t get a take that I was entirely content with, but here it is:

Hope you enjoy it…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

That’s fantastic, Quetscher! You do make that thing sing like a bluebird.

Steven Morris
    Participant

Awesome video!

The Chromatic Harmonica player’s name is Nobuo Tokunaga 🙂

Carlos Panela
    Participant

wow, it sounds incrediblee

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Alan, hi Steven,

Thanks for your comments via Melodicaworld and Soundcloud. I’m glad you liked it!

@Steven
    : Usually I damp my Vibrandoneon with foam, but this time I didn’t, so the warm sound may be a result of the tube amp effect that I used on this recording.

Steven Morris
    Participant

Questcher,

I’m intrigued! Could you please share your ideas about dampening? I’m really interested in trying out something like that with my Suzuki Melodion.

Have you tried foam inside of a Melodica/Melodion?

Quetscher
    Participant

I never put foam inside of an instrument, just damped from outside, so I don’t know if this would work. If you damp from outside you will need a melodica that is either built like an accordion (Vibrandoneon or Eolina) or that has slits at the bottom, so either you can press the melodica against your body or tape the slits.

Lowboy
    Participant

Alan is the expert, but I would add that just because a melodica has holes or slots on the back, does not mean the sound is projected from these holes or slots. Often the holes or slots on the back are there for what I imagine is air circulation, sound tuning (with most of the sound emerging from beneath the keyboard), or esthetics. Covering the slots on the back of most melodicas will have minimal effect on the tone. Lowboy

Quetscher
    Participant

Thanks Lowboy, I didn’t know that! So isn’t there any way to change the sound of a melodica-like built instrument?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button