Bach Cello Suite No 6 – prelude

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

I thought I’d post a rough mix of a Bach piece – Cello Suite no. 6 (prelude). I’m going to record it live in video format soon, using a mic that will add some weight and depth. Not sure it’ll ever sound quite like a cello 🙂

Listen here!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Awesome Daren, your tone and performance is fantastic! I wish I could create a practical solution for sustain on the reeds or in the Melodica which would give an almost perfect natural acoustical sound. In the Cello where the sustain is created naturally in the instrument, I can only assume a melodica would need to have an extremely large tone chamber where the reed sound would travel through unobstructed or muted so it could resonate with its own sound to create a sustain.
    Great piece.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Stunning!

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

Awesome indeed! Bravo!
    I recorded an EWI version years ago (it’s on youTube) so this prelude was one of the first things I have tried on the melodica, but I still have troubles with big jumps: are you involving the left hand or is it just great right hand technique?
    I have recently started to have a look at Violin Partitas and it occurred to me that we could better emulate bow movements on broken chords by having a “sluggish” fingers’ movement, what we would call an extreme “tenuto” in Italian, to the point of having arpeggio’s notes overlapped for a short time: maybe this could create the effect Oscar was wishing for, what do you think?

Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks for your lovely comments guys!

It took a load of practising, I actually started working on the hardest bits a few years ago, and kept it as a background project. But I can play it all with the right hand, the trick is keeping the hand (and whole body) really relaxed.

MM, I’m not sure we’ll ever have that sort of resonance on such a small instrument, but at least you can put it in your pocket and take it to any acoustic space you like! I’m going to record the video in a large resonant room, and probably use a ribbon mic.

Gianluca, I think that’s a good idea, I do that a bit with Irish music, where there’s an arpeggio figure – slightly overlapping the notes, turning it into a sort of moving chord, its a nice effect. Love your EWI version, I hadn’t discovered that before…

barb
    Participant

Wow, I love it. And don’t care if you sound like a cello or not.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Gianluca, great work on the EWI, I think I am going to have to dust off all my old Yo-Yo Ma CD’s and put up the do not disturb sign. You guys are really motivating me 🙂

Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Yes, Yo-Yo Ma is the gold standard here. I have listened to those recordings so often.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

That’s marvelous! How on earth do you breathe? Just great!

Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks Barb and Joanna. I’m using a technique called ‘circular breathing’. Anyone can learn it – its simple, but takes a long time to become second nature.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Don’t forget to mention that deal you made with the Devil.

Luis melodion
    Participant

Hemoso, Felicidades 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button