Antique German Melodica?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

I’m brand new here, trying to find ANYONE who can help me figure out what this things is!

I have a very interesting instrument which I assume to be an antique melodica. I have tried to figure out when this instrument was made as well as who made it but have come to a dead end with every avenue (including an antique woodwind instrument museum and Antiques Roadshow). I can’t find any other instruments that look exactly like this one and I believe it to be unique, one-of-a-kind. Hohner seems to me to be the obvious direction but I cannot verify that. I’m hoping someone would be able to offer some assistance to help me figure out exactly what this is. Below is a brief description and I will post a link to some pictures in a reply to this post later.

This is a fixed reed instrument that produces different tones on the blow and draw and is played with both hands. The instrument is boxy with metal keys on the right and left sides, a brass mouthpiece and a straight aluminum horn (which is just for aesthetics). It is made of cardboard covered with fancy foil or wallpaper or something nailed together on the sides and has metal braces on the top and bottom corners. The left hand has two valves and produces the low notes while the right hand has 10 valves and produces the upper notes with a very interesting scale structure centered around the blow or draw. The only marking on the instrument is a stamped “GERMANY”.

I hope someone can help me out and appreciate any insight anybody might have.

Thanks!!

– Jay

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Jay, a photo would make a big difference!

Jason
    Participant

Hey Daren, thanks for the response!

Here’s just a few pictures since I’m not sure how this will show up on here. If you’d like to see a few more, here’s a link to a Flickr Album that has more. I hope you find this as interesting as I do and maybe have some insight into it. Thanks again!

I’ve also reached out to Hohner to see if they know anything and am eagerly awaiting their response…

Edit: I guess the pics didn’t upload, maybe I didn’t do it right…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Jason.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Jason.
    Daren
    Keymaster

There’s one of these in the online International Melodica Museum, listed as “Old key melodica, circa unknown”.

I’m not allowed to post the photo here, but you can get membership to have a look. @melodica-me probably has a few words to say about it! Perhaps where it was acquired, or any clues…

Getty mages has a diagram of one here

Pusteblume
    Participant

It‘s a Blow Accordion.

Hohnerette on youtube

A old one

These is a newer one.   I would guess 1950 to 1960

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Pusteblume.
    Pusteblume
    Participant

A newer one. I would guess 1950 to 1960

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Pusteblume. Reason: links doesn‘t work
    Jason
    Participant

Wow, thanks guys!

Hohnerette – why didn’t I think of that?! Man, put that word in google and find some VERY interesting instruments! Very cool.

Does anyone here know anything about the history of these? I’m especially wondering why there are no two I can find that are alike, besides the obvious likelihood that they have fallen apart or broken, etc. Was this something they were experimenting with and it never took off? Were these special ordered?

My own fantastical theory of the instrument in my possession is that it was made by an instrument maker who had access to spare parts and pieces and made these either for his friends or to sell for polka musicians. Most likely a bit of a fairy tale, I know, but with no idea or information I have fun imagining the history of this awesome instrument.

Pusteblume
    Participant

Instruments of this type were already being built in series at the end of the 19th century and advertised as easy to learn. They are diatonic instruments, hence the unusual pattern when drawing and blowing.
    The two individual buttons should be the tonica and dominant of each key.

I would date your instrument to the 50s of the last century. At that time, such devices were still made as children’s toys.
    Is it made out of cardboard?
    Germany 1912
    Katalog von 1912
    Serious guy with blow accordeon. Ca. 1900
    Serious guy with blow accordeon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

In searching for more information on the wooden blow accordion, I came across an advertisement of the Rudolp Wurlitzer Co. in Cincinnati showing what I believe to be the same model listed as German Blow Accordion # 379 Unforunately I am unable to post the advertisement. I will send to Daren and maybe he will be able to post.
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

hohnerette blow accordion

Pusteblume
    Participant

There is a complete Wurlitzer catalogue online. You will find blow accordions on Page 19 and 78ff

Wurlitzer Cincinnati

The following text is an excerpt from a german blog. translated by Google:

During this time, Hohner also began to conquer the American market. Hohner had a connection to at least 11 USA direct importers. One of them –Wurlitzer (Cincinnati) – had been founded by emigrants from Schöneck (Vogtland). Hohner increased his USA sales by 16 times at that time. In 1890, his USA sales were 96 percent. Hohner managed this without much advertising. Because Hohner could not meet the demand alone in 1892 despite a production of 2.1 million harmonicas, they bought from publishers, dealers and third-party manufacturers. Therefore, not every Hohner harmonica sold has been built at Hohner. Because the American market promised apparently limitless growth and good profits and there was an American consulate for export processing in Markneukirchen, other Markneukirch companies traded with harmonicas. They bought them in Klingenthal and the neighboring towns. Some let these manufacturers work directly for themselves. Because most Saxon manufacturers could not afford their own distribution. In Germany, there were 1,123 harmonica sole manufacturers in 1907 plus 460 companies with two to 50 employees. At that time, 1,395 Saxon manufacturers were registered. Most of them could only choose between Hohner and the wholesale trade.

If it is from Germany and not a Hohner, it‘s probably from Vogtland/Musikwinkel. If it is a Hohner, sometimes too.

A not complete list

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button