Accordina

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jim2010
    Participant

I would like to purchase a Borel accordina in good playable condition. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what improvements were made by Marcel Dreux when he stopped making exact copies of the Borel instruments I’d appreciate learning about that.

Joseph carrel
    Participant

Hello if you want to buy an accordina borel you must be careful because there making different series with its brass reed breaks very often, good for a series accordina borel with this stainless steel reeds
    sorry for my bad english
    I am manufacturer of accordina in France, you can see my model on my site josephcarrel
    Musicalement
    Joseph

jim2010
    Participant

Thank you. I didn’t know about that.

Jim

Johnathan
    Participant

I have been the happy player of a Joseph Carrel Accordina since January 2014. Though they are made in France there is an agent for the UK, Alan Shute, who often attends the Birmingham Accordion Festival with a trade stand selling the Accordina. This was where I ordered mine from. Once I had had the chance to try one out at Alans stand I couldn’t resist ordering one. Now I take it with me when I go anywhere that I cannot take my Accordion. It’s size and weight means you can include it in your hand luggage.

Kind regards

Johnathan

Stephen
    Participant

A few weeks ago, I found an authentic André Borel 44 buttons accordina from the 1960s in a sort of second-hand flea market shop for 35 euro only. In very good condition, sounds beautiful after it warms up a little in the hands, after 1 hour of playing the sound gets a little bit better when the instrument is warmed up.

In France you might get Lucky in finding an accordina.

Daren
    Keymaster

I’ve also got one of these Stephen, which I found on ebay many years ago. Very nicely made instrument. Well done for your 35 euro find!

Stephen
    Participant

Yes, that was a unique opportunity, finding an authentic André Borel accordina for 35 euro. I was Lucky, the item was viewed by 7 users the hour it was put online, took a half day of at work to pick it up. It was the right decision.

The instrument warms up a little after 1 or 2 hours playing, and the sound gets even better after 2 hours playing.
    I’m gonna keep that accordina with me for a while.

Just ordered a new Hohner Chrometta 8 mouth harp, just 8 holes for 2 octaves fully chromatic. But my harmonica level is a beginner’s.

I’m also looking for a second hand Borel Clavietta or alike, for the separate reed plates inside. You never now it turns up one day…

Still I’m thinking of designing a mini accordina or mini button melodica/symphonium, with 30 notes only (2,5 octaves). The 44 button accordina is 1 kg. I hope to downsize that to 600 grams, but I don’t know if that is possible. I think it is with cut up melodica reed plates into individual reed plates.
    (A 26 button accordina has been made in France, for a total of 690 grams, it’s 22 cm long)

Daren
    Keymaster

There was a Clavietta for sale on this site a couple of weeks ago for £50! It had a full set of reeds.

You must be taking of Laurent Jarry’s mini accordina?

Great idea 🙂

Stephen
    Participant

Yes indeed, I was talking about Jarry’s mini accordina named “baby accordina”.
    But 2 octaves (24+1 button) is not enough for me, I would need 2,5 octaves (from g4 to c7, the highest note of a diatonic mouth harp). Many tunes and songs (eg in the key of C) start from low g4 with a jump to the tonic note, c5.
    With 30 buttons I can play all the tunes I want, without having to transpose to another key.

The accordina though is not easy to make, you have to drill the holes in solid wood.
    Looking at photos of the inside of the Borel piano Clavietta or the old (green) Hohner Soprano melodica action, these are easier to make. The (old) green Hohner soprano melodica had all the keys mounted on 1 single metal bar, and the reeds lay very close to the push keys. That would be a bit easier to make.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button