A melodica and acoustic guitar piece – "Winter at sea"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    I would like to share this musical composition for melodica and acoustic guitar. It is a partnership between me and a guitarist friend. Actually, it’s my first composition I ever made! Hope you like it!

It was also recorded and mixed by me, activities that I do in an amateur and self-taught way. Unfortunately, knowing that more than 60% of people watching YouTube do this on their cell phone (which has lousy speakers), I had to turn down the volume of the melodica so it didn’t sound too shrill. Whoever listens only through the speaker phone will find it ok, but with headphones the volume of the melodica is lower than I would like. I couldn’t mix in a way that sounded good on all kinds of speakers. If anyone has tips on how to do this, I would appreciate it!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Very Nice Andre, Please share more with us. I wanted you a question on your video # 18 “Qual marca de escaleta comprar? #18” I notice at 3:10 you have a photo of the Hohner “Solist” is this Hohner popular in Brazil, the only one I have ever seen is the one I own. Do you have anymore information on this Melodica? if so can you please share I would like to know the history,
    Melodica-Me

André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Hello, Melodica-me. Unfortunately Hohner Solist is not common in Brazil. Actually, I read about it here on the forum, so I don’t have more information than you and I know that it is a very rare model. In this part of the video I was talking about professional melodicas models, so I used a picture of the Solist as an illustration. I found it looking at Google (by the way, perhaps it is your model, I hope it’s not a problem).

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Andre, I have been looking for information for the Soloist for a few years on may sites but have not found any information on it and was hoping you may have seen one in your country. The only information In received from Hohner (USA) was that it may have been made for a special event or for a specific client. The response from Hohner (Germany) could not find a production report and was not sure where it originated. Alan Briton, has a Hohner International that does not look like a typical Hohner melodica but carries the name “Hohner International F32”
    (see site below)

Have you seen one of these in Brazil?

By the way, yes it is my Solist and absolutely no problem posting any of my photos.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I think the Hohner International 32 was probably manufactured in Brazil.

André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Hello Melodica Me and Alan.

First of all, I apologize for not having responded before, but I think I now have more information than at the time of this post.

Through my research, I discovered that a Brazilian accordion and harmonica company called Todeschini entered into a partnership with Hohner to manufacture accordions in Brazil and export it to the United States. This happened since 1962 and probably ended in 1971, when Todeschini, after a fire accident, started to producing only furniture (which still happens today). In the texts, I read there is no mention at all about making melodicas, but we may suppose that it may have made them too.

Interestingly, I met a guy who owns a melodica manufactured by Todeschini and as incredible as it may seem, his melodica is a copy of… Clavietta. What’s more, it has a P2 output to be connected to an amplifier. I don’t know anyone else who has this model besides him.

So can we say that Brazil is a mysterious country about melodicas? I think so.

You can see this model from Todeschini in this video (it appears in several moments of the video):

Melodica-Me
    Participant

André, a few weeks back another forum member from Germany posted a link to picture of a Clavietta he had just purchased that had a built in pick up. I stated that the one I has seen a long time before had a volume control, I may have actually seen a custom or after market one and they actually may come with only the P2 connector. See link below. There is currently a Clavietta on Ebay with a Switchcraft 2501F screw-type connector, which were usually used for high impeadance microphones (This one needs work and has been on for a while now). My thought on this is that they were not highly sold as most would play the Clavietta into a microphone if used during a performance, but I guess there was the occasional musician that would want to plug it in to an amplifier. It is hard to actually see the p2 connector in the video. Thanks For sharing.
    Melodica-Me

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO5VKIHvtelQvjJYxnj9vDeEGN6xdCWQmGoN2n-E2qcVNSHnRGKEsBslnDmqnRtew?key=dFJaMXNjLXNlazA4TnJpaTV1eGFWTzE4WV9CVWJ3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-La-Clavietta-Mouth-Organ-Made-in-Italy-with-PICKUP-Case/184191329377?hash=item2ae2a8a461:g:adwAAOSw8YdeTYm4

Lowboy
    Participant

That was quite the relaxing piece Andre. Well done for your first composition.

Regards,

Lowboy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button