Reply To: It Never Entered my Mind on Hammond 44H

Alan Brinton
Participant

I’m not the best person to address the question of vibrato, Joanna. This Mario Duenas recording of My Funny Valentine is a favorite here. I don’t have a clear understanding of what vibrato is. If the question is whether I practice trying to get the kind of effect Mario produces in this recording, the answer is Yes, and I am somewhat successful. I find that I’m best able to work on technique by copying what I hear rather than by trying to follow instructions. I’m quite sure that creating vibrato (a vibration) is not a matter of making repeated muscle movements, as nobody has that kind of muscle control.

The most meaningful explanations for melodica players are likely to come from professional woodwind players, I think. As for imitation, I have spent a lot of time trying to produce effects that I hear in the playing of some of our members, for example Lowboy Bootay, Quetscher, and Bruno. But others as well. I’m doing this by ear. I love this video, by the way, but the vibrato is just a bit too pronounced for my taste.

Back to top button