Reply To: Bought a new Suzuki M37 Melodion completely out of tune.

Alan Brinton
Participant

Suzuki M series Melodions typically come from the factory reasonably well tuned, Gido. You can download a free tuning app for Android or iPad/iPhone or go to an Internet site to check the tuning, as Rodion suggests. Does it seem to be out of tune relative to itself, or relative to the tuning of your other instruments? It might be tuned to A=440hz or A=441, while your others are closer A=443, which would make it seem flat, when actually they are sharp. If you test all its notes you can determine what standard it seems to have been tuned to and compare with the others. I would be really surprised if the factory tuning of an M-37C was just all over the place so that it was completely out of tune with itself. It might be that all the Hohners are sharp and that it’s the Suzuki that’s actually in tune (in relation to the 440 standard). But some people prefer sharp tuning.

I have tuned an M-32C and an A-34C. Most melodicas are factory tuned sharp. These Suzukis were a bit sharp, but less so than most. I tuned them down slightly to A=440 on the M-32C and A=441 on the A-34C. I also have an M-37C, which I haven’t tuned because I don’t play it as much and there didn’t seem to be a problem.

Back to top button